Tuesday 10 May 2011

Evaluation

My initial thoughts on my own everyday routine and the often overlooked daily application of makeup got me thinking about make up in more bizarre and dramatic contexts: theatre make up; prosthetics; drag queens; child beauty queens.

I settled on the latter as a main focus after being captivated (and repulsed) by documentaries on the subject. I was intrigued, not only by the pageant industry itself, but the public's fascination in it, reflected on the sheer number of related reality TV shows. The controversy sparked by these strange events suggests my piece would provide a discussion point for audiences.

The personal element I brought to the animation (as well as my first ideas) was the strongly negative opinion of child pageants that I hope to communicate through my work, and the questions I asked myself along the way: Should young children be wearing make up? How old should we be before we do so? Are there any positive aspects to child pageants? Do these little girls really enjoy what they're being forced to do? I also used my own daily make up routine as a reference for the marks I made on my doll and the order that I did this in.

In terms of representing the 21st century, I may be depicting a minority, but it seems as though these pageants have never been so popular and such a strong focus in the media. It's getting more and more extreme and I want to reveal this, shocking the audience as much as possible so that they continue to think about what it means.

There is no doubt I have vastly improved my (previously non-existant) animation skills. I had no idea there was so much technical thinking to be done before filming even started; I found things like timing very hard to get my head round, but I have a clearer idea of this now. My conceptual skills were also tested, as I had to think deeply about why I was using certain materials and ideas, and what they meant. Though I am not the subject of the animation, I feel as though my own voice is present in the form of my ideas and the decisions I have made. Hopefully this is evident in my preceding notes and visual experiments.


                                   Taylor Momsen?

No comments:

Post a Comment